Saturday, December 18, 2010

Dinner For One

Even when I am home alone, I love to cook dinner. I admit, I tend to go overboard. Like tonight. I decided to cook a big dinner... just for myself. When the hubby is away the chef still plays–right? I made garlic bread, penne with a spicy meat sauce, and a salad. Simple recipes that I learned from my mom and have been cooking my whole life. It was fun and yum.

 


Recipe is as follows:

Red Meat Sauce with Penne:

Sauce:
1lb of Ground Beef
1 28oz Can Crushed Tomatoes
Lots of Garlic- crushed and diced (I used at least 6 cloves)
A few Fresh Basil Leaves (homegrown works best)
Olive Oil
Crushed Red Pepper (I used at least 2 Tbsp)
Salt and Pepper
1 small piece of Parmigiano Cheese Rind
1 Bay Leaf


Pasta:
1lb of Penne Rigate
- I start by heating the olive oil and warming up the garlic. Then brown the meat. Add the dry spices. Add the tomatoes, bay leaf and cheese rind. Then let it simmer on low for at least 30 minutes. Cook the penne per directions on the pasta. Mix past into sauce. Add fresh basil. Simple!

Garlic Bread:
1 loaf Ciabbata
Olive Oil
Crushed Garlic (lots)
Basil
-Slice the bread and rub it down with olive oil, garlic and basil. Wrap in foil and toast in the oven. Done!

I'm not a measurer, I eyeball everything and I'm always sure to taste test the whole way through.

No comments:

Post a Comment